Monday, February 19, 2007

An eventful weekend

We had a nice busy weekend, with a night out on Friday, a surprise visit from Ryan's parents on Saturday, and friends over on Sunday.
Friday was a couples dessert night put on by the homeschool asscociation. It was nice for Ryan to meet some of my friends who homeschool and the speaker was a pastor and homeschool dad who was a real encouragement to me and to Ryan too.
Saturday afternoon Ryan's parents arrived at our house with a new (to us) couch for our basement and we got to enjoy a quick but fun visit with them.
Sunday I taught big kids church for the first time - I'm used to teaching the preschool kids but I had fun with this group of grade 1's and 2's. After church we had some new friends, Janelle and Greg and their 2 kids over for lunch. We really enjoyed having a chance to get to know them a little better.
This morning I went on a field trip with Evan and Grace to the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. It was a presentation aimed at elementary school children and they did a great job. The conductor talked about the different kinds of instruments and they played songs which highlighted the different sounds of each "instrument family." I had never been in the Orpheum before, and it was amazing! I think I enjoyed myself even more than the kids did.
Here are some pictures of the first time scissors have ever been taken to Rachel's hair. She's never even had a trim before but on Saturday afternoon I gave her some gum. She went into her room for a quiet time and when I went to get her a little while later, she said, "Mommy, I can't find my gum." I looked in her bed and on her floor but of course, it wasn't there! Granny found it a few minutes later when she was touching Rachel's hair. Thankfully, it was only an inch or two from the end and you can't really tell that she has one chunk shorter than the rest. When I told her I would have to cut her hair she started to cry, and as I carried her into the bathroom she said, "No Mommy, I don't want you to cut me!" Of course, I reassured her that I was only going to cut her hair, and it wouldn't hurt but as you might be able to tell from the picture, she was still very unsure until it was done and she realized that it was fairly painless!

We had lots of fun playing "sequence" with Granny and Grandpa. For the record, Grandpa and Daddy are the sequence champs - until next time!


Grace decided that she wanted to use her rolling pin as a back massager. :)

2 comments:

Sue said...

oooooh what a delight it is to read what happens in your family. it gives me inspiration for when we are a family with older kids. :)

the musical-field-trip sounds lovely, i remember going to that Theatre for a childrens' preformance!! :)

say hi to all the lovely Rach's.fromsu.

Sarafina said...

hi Christa!
The trip to the Orpheum sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to do stuff like that with our kids too.
Glad you're all doing well (0: