This is kind of old news now because I've been too busy to blog in the last couple of weeks, but it is important news so I thought I'd post it anyway.
Over the past year, we've spent a lot of time talking, thinking and praying about when would be the right time for Evan to go back to school. We've always said, ever since we started homeschooling, that we would do this for one year at a time. I was beginning to feel that the time was drawing near for Evan to move on, for many reasons. As we talked about it with Evan, we all went back and forth about if he was ready, and where he would go to school. In the end, Ryan, Evan and I all felt a peace about the decision for Evan to go to middle school at the same school where he did Kindergarten and Grade 1.
As the summer drew to a close and the first day approached, Evan was getting quite anxious. Middle school is a big transition for any kid, but even more so for one who hasn't been in formal school for the past 4 years. I was getting nervous too and began questioning our decision. But God is good and He does lead us in the way He wants us to go, as we trust Him. I continued to give my fears and worries to Him and to pray for and with Evan as he waited for school to start.
On the night before the first day of school, we planned a surprise for Evan. Each person in the family wrote a note or drew a picture for him. We told him how proud we are of him and how much we love him. We surprised Evan by going out to dinner and we gave him his letters while we were there.

First day of school Daddy didn't have to leave until 7:45 so he had breakfast with us. I made french toast as a treat (school day breakfast are usually things I can make really quickly.) Evan was up bright and early and ready to go, without any prompting from me (this NEVER happens!)
Off he goes!
I asked Evan if he would be embarrassed if I cried when I took him to his first day of school, and he assured me that if I shed even one tear within sight of his friends, I would be banned from the school grounds. :) So I dropped him off, met his teacher, said goodbye, walked to my van, and wept all the way home! I know this may seem like overkill to many of you, but it was a very emotional moment for me. It was a letting go and acknowledging that my firstborn baby is growing up, becoming independent, becoming his own person. I am immensely proud of the wonderful young man he is growing up to be, and grateful for the great relationship we have with him, but I am also sad at the way the years have flown by.
That being said, we are feeling at peace with our decision. Evan is happy, enjoying school, making new friends, being very responsible about getting his homework done. I am enjoying the lighter work load of planning, marking and teaching at home and thankful for the extra attention I can give to the girls, especially Rachel who is still struggling to read fluently and needs one-on-one attention a lot. I like the intentional time I have with Evan to debrief about his day when he gets home from school. The girls have some relief from Evan's relentless teasing and bugging, and they are happy to see him when he arrives home. All in all, it has been the right decision for our family in this time. I will continue to homeschool the girls until such time as we feel God leading us to put them in school, and I will continue to trust Him for the strength and wisdom I need each day for the responsibilities He has given me.
2 comments:
Good job on following where God is leading your family! It's definitely not always easy especially when it involves our children but it's a good lesson in obedience for us and a good example for our children to know that we have to make difficult choices sometimes as well! Thanks for sharing with us:)
Such a transition for your family. I'm sure Evan will flourish in his new environment and be excited with all that middle school has to offer. Those three years go by so quickly.
Post a Comment